Monday, April 29, 2013

Article 5/17 Letter of No Objection

Spent a large part of the day on the phone, sending emails, organizing and collecting my adoption paperwork. 

Here's what I found out today in speaking with the adoption specialist here at the embassy. 

There is something called an "Article 5/17 letter of no objection". It is a letter written by the embassy and addressed to the courts wherein it lays out the US citizenship law and that our child will indeed be granted citizenship automatically when our plane touches US soil. 

I had never heard of this letter. It is needed before the judge will grant our final adoption. I have made an appointment with the embassy, at which time I show all my docs so far (homestudy, i800 approval, i800a approval, article 16 letter, etc etc) and they determine whether everything is in order. If so, they issue me this letter to take to court. Problem is, the date for our final hearing has already been set. How do I get this letter to the judge before then? If I give it to him on May 30, then he will set a FOURTH court date for us to come back so he can grant the final adoption order. I've asked my attorney to file for some sort of modification hearing (she said it's called an affidavit here) which will allow us to add this paper to his file NOW (a month before we actually go to court) instead of waiting until then. 

But I'm not sure procedurally how things work here. 

I do know that we are literally getting really close to our fly-date, which is the third week of July. I really don't have extra weeks to spare for the judge to get educated about US citizenship law...So we will see... 


1 comment: