Saturday, November 3, 2012

Frustrated. Having Sleep and Food Issues.

We are having issues with food and sleep the last couple of days. And it makes me so mad that I can't figure out the problem!! I'm just being real, folks. I cannot understand this little dude. And I know it will take a long while, but it is so frustrating during the process.

Our food issues. For example, someone brought us over a beef stew a few nights ago and Zac ate 6 kid-size servings of the stuff. So I froze the leftovers in little ziplocs to pull out for lunches since he loved it so much. But when I gave it to him again, he threw it on the floor. I took away his plate and put it on the table and he screamed and cried like somebody broke his heart. I know he is hungry. I know he likes this food. He is crying and pointing to Sabrina's plate. I tried giving him a bite of her food. He got even madder/sadder. He wanted her fork. He wanted her cup.
He seems to only want what other people have. About 50% of the time. The other 50% of the time he shoves food in his mouth like he is starving. There seems to be no pattern.

So the problem is, when he doesn't EAT then he doesn't sleep well. He wakes up every 3 hours like an infant and wants to have a sippie cup of formula. It took a really long time to get him to sleep last night. He twists and fidgets his little hands back and forth, he shakes his left leg back and forth. I figure since he was in the orphanage he didn't have a mommy to rock him to sleep, so these are the ways he soothed himself to fall asleep for 17 months. He doesn't understand that he has a mommy to rock him now. He doesn't understand that I won't leave when he falls asleep, that I will be here when he wakes up. I get that. Last night I desperately posted on the Trust-Based Parenting facebook group (join it if you are adopting - - so helpful!!). Other mommies with similar situations said their kiddos had sensory issues or were really feeling the trauma of switching caregivers (from orphanage to mommy) or were self-soothing also. I really have to finish the book The Connected Child by Karyn Purvis because she discusses these types of issues.

I know it takes patience. Holy Spirit please pour your Patience and Love into our house every morning!
I need to pray these problems away. I have not started his prayer journal yet. I have a separate notebook for each of my kids, and I write out any behavioral or health problems so I can pray them out and declare blessings over them. Then I write out when the prayers are answered. I just realized we have been so busy adjusting that I have not even started his prayer journal. Will do that today!

1 comment:

  1. Jess, the food issues sound exactly like what Joy does! Looking forward to some discussions by the pool! :)

    ReplyDelete