This is not such a post.
I am so so so tired of the challenges and complications regarding this adoption. I know I whine a lot, but this has seriously been the hardest thing I have ever done! WHY??!!
If I could get in a time machine and talk to myself in March 2011, I would tell myself that this process is too complicated and too challenging. So don't bother yourself (myself) with it. Choose a different country. Or none at all.
I am so FED UP with the business industry in Kenya, inter alia. There are obstacles with everything we have done in this country. From Day 1.
I had major issues with Fedex today. You know how I mentioned in my last post that we paid to have our i800a approval letter fedex'd international priority? Well it arrived today, May 14. The courier called me from the airport at 1pm and said he was on the way to my house. Don't picture a Fedex truck. Picture a guy on a motorcycle with a crate tied to the back of the motorcycle that contains all the packages. I'm surprised they can ever deliver anything correctly here at all. Especially since there aren't any real addresses here.
So by 5pm he wasn't here yet. I called him. Apparently right after he informed me he was on the way to my house, someone from the main office had called him and told him to hold my package. AND HE NEVER BOTHERED to communicate that to me. (INSERT "UGH UGH UGH UGH" HERE.)
His name is Marshall. Marshall the Courier. He had no idea why my package was being held. Then he mentioned something about freight charges, but I could barely understand his broken English with the noise of the traffic in the background.
![]() |
| Lies, Lies, Lies. Not on a truck being delivered to my house! |
I called US Fedex. They said there should be no issues - - Kenya should have just billed my account number (which is the same as swiping a credit card) and delivered my document to me.
I called Marshall back and told him I have an appointment to notarize the darn thing at the US Embassy tomorrow at 8am and to BRING ME MY DOCUMENT!! I will literally sign it and hand it right back to him to be delivered back to the States again. Gosh, how long will THAT part take?
So I have no idea when I will get my document. If I can get it sent back out tomorrow I can possibly still make the June NAC meeting...WE NEED MIRACLES EVERY STEP OF THE WAY WHEN DEALING WITH THIS GOVERNMENT AND THIS CULTURE!!
(Okay it might be time to make this blog private...Probably not a good idea to blast the government/culture when I'm trying to adopt from here.)
But that brings another good point...why do I want to adopt from this country at all? All these frustrations and challenges make me lose focus on why we are doing this in the first place. What. Is. The. Point.
I am praying this whole process will sort of be like labor: once it's over you forget about how hard it was. We'll see. And I know everyone says once the baby is here that we will be thankful we went through with it. I guess we'll see about that, too.

No comments:
Post a Comment