Saturday, October 27, 2012

First Full Day

I should be cleaning while the baby is napping, but if I don't sit down and write now, then I never will! And I never want to forget these "firsts" with Zac.

On Saturday he woke up around 5:45am. So we started our day! I realized that at the orphanage the kids were not allowed in the kitchen, so I put his high chair in the middle of the kitchen and I explained everything I did. We made pancakes. He was fascinated by all the stirring and mixing. He chatted and chatted with me while I flipped pancakes and fried bacon. He did not seem to like the taste of the pancakes until I added honey...and then he had a blast licking off the honey and throwing the rest of the bite on the floor. Eventually Kevin and the kids came downstairs and they played blocks in the middle of the kitchen floor while I cleaned up our pancake mess!

Kevin is amazing. I already knew that, but now I am seeing another side of him. He is so sweet and cuddly and proactive with the baby. He helps me with dishes and laundry without even being asked. The kids have been pretty well behaved as well. They are smitten with Zac, especially Sabrina. She wants to cuddle and hold him constantly. Zac doesn't always appreciate that...but he will warm up to her eventually.

Zac and I went to the playground for a few minutes around 11am. My friend walked over, and Zac held out his arms to go to her. I had just chatted with the doctor about this. Doc said Zac has no attachments to anyone because he has seen so many different people his whole life and not one constant person. Doc said Zac would do that, and that I need to hold tight to him and not let him go to someone else. I kind of feel sad if I don't let him do something he wants to do, but Doc explained it is like wearing a set belt. Kids don't want to do that either, but they have to learn for their safety. So when Zac reached out to my friend (although he is very clingy to me inside my own house), I really understood what Doc was referring to. So that was a big learning experience. Zac cried because he wanted down, but I held him. And then he asleep in my arms. Oops. Not even nap time yet.

Lunch was scarce - he did not eat a lot. Around 2pm I rocked him to sleep for his afternoon nap. He slept until around 3:30pm.

Today was the Halloween trick-or-treating on the embassy compound, so around 4pm Kevin and the kids got dressed in their costumes. They went to a party down the street and then spent an hour trick-or-treating. I stayed at home with Zac and didn't even pass out candy. I thought it would be too disruptive for him. My dear friend brought dinner, and Zac ate and ate. He ate 6 servings of beef stew. I couldn't believe it. And boy is he in a good mood when he has a snack or food on his tummy!

Zac hasn't seen much of the house or even the backyard hardly yet. Too much to take in, so we are letting him venture out on his own little by little.

I rocked him to sleep around 8pm and laid him in his crib. I had these big plans of co-sleeping with him...and we still might do that. But we have sort of a small bed and he flops around a lot. I keep waking up every time he moves, which makes for a tired mommy the next day!

Can't wait to see what tomorrow holds!

No comments:

Post a Comment